Friday, May 9, 2008

Self delusion and the Secret

Someone sent this to me and I started seeing the similarity between it and the Secret.

Briefly, the article says that conservatives tend to be happier because they find ways to rationalize for the way things are rather than start with the premise of things are wrong and they must be improved. In many ways, I see this as "The Secret." The secret is really about reframing one's perception and thus, changing our interpretation of what we observe. Instead of seeing reality, say you accidentally lose a leg, which happens quite a bit to many children (and adults) around the world in many war-torn countries. Oh, I didn't lose a leg, I lost some weight! Actually, for those religious conservatives, they would see this as god's will. What's more, they interpret this as god's way of testing their faith, and so they have to step up to meet that challenge!

Is this a good way to view life? Or is it our duty to correct their self-delusion? I personally don't see a problem with it, diversity in opinion is a good thing and if this is how some people find peace and comfort in order to accept their station in life, why not?!

No comments: