Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Happiness is a conscious decision

Sure, there are many people who are unhappy, depressed, and may even need psychiatric help. But for most people, if they don't choose to be happy, they end up in a death spiral of wanting more and never quite satisfy with what they have... and so, they become even more unhappy.

I often see people who want this and that, but they don't take any action to improve their conditions, work toward their goals, and consequently, they end up being unhappiness because they have already surrendered their happiness to outside forces. The classic example is the weather. Almost everywhere I go, people will complain about what's wrong with the weather they are experiencing. If it's too sunny, they complain about the heat. If it's too warm, they complain about the humidity. As you can see, they will always find something wrong about their external environment, and allow that to affect them. What they don't ever consider is that there are millions more people inhabiting in the exact same conditions, I'm sure many of those people are happy and not let the weather conditions affect them.

The second item on people's bitch and complain list is usually other people (like this blog!). This can range from family members, friends, to co-workers. Unlike weather, we usually have slightly more control over people who we associate with. I was at a point in my life nearly 2 years ago, when I allowed unscrupulous, social misfits into my life, and instead of extracting myself from that situation, I wallowed in their miseries and I didn't realize how unhappy I was until I extracted myself from that "community." So, look around you, if someone or group of people is making you unhappy, cut them out of your life. Life is too short to squander your precious time with those who bother you.

Yes, there are times when we do need outside intervention. Instead of going to seek out professionals to treat our depression, people would go from one self-help group and self-hype guru to another. However, there are some things in us we have to accept and learn to live with them. There are some ways we can mask or improve, by that, I mean we take actions to change what we can, and accept what we cannot change. An example is our height, if someone is short, he can wear lifts, more form fitting clothes, and carry himself in ways that make him look tall. Take Jon Stewart in the Daily Show, did you notice that his stage is slightly elevated and his guests have to step up to him? So there are ways we can mask any problem, but we don't ever hear Jon Stewart complaining about his height!

That's the beauty of not indulging too much in the self-help, self-improvement movement. The very premise is that there's something wrong with you, you are unhappy, and you are not good enough. And in order for you to be happy, good, etc., you have to subscribe, pay, enroll, and be part of something else. See how sneaky they are at marketing themselves to you?! Rather than getting into an endless cycle of going to someone for more, we are better off accepting our own conditions, be more goal-oriented, AND most important of all, take action toward our goals instead of constantly complaining about our unhappiness. Yes, you are good enough, you are happy, and you must have to love yourself first.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

What you said about the self-help community really rings true with me. I've been reading your blog for awhile and I've even posted comments a few times, sometimes defending the community.

The thing is, what I increasingly found was that the community was insidious in how it 'kept you dependent', so to speak.

It's as if people in the community (and I'm not talking about all of them, mostly about the guys marketing products) want you to think the community is the only solution. You get indoctrinated and all of a sudden you can't fall in love with one single girl because it's "oneitis" and you aren't supposed to look to mainstream society because they're "AFCs".

Yet those 'AFCs' are more successful than you. Just like Sinn said on that Barry Kirkey episode. Man I couldn't have agreed more with that.

Why is it that my dad, who was a natural, never needed the community? Furthermore, why is the fact talked about so little.

Where I realised I was going wrong was that the more time I spent immersed in the community, the more I saw it as the only solution. Luckily for me, that little nagging voice in the back of my head that was saying "there's something missing here" kept getting louder too.

So I don't really consider myself part of the community anymore. In all honesty I was never a really successful part of it anyway, theorizing for years but only starting to hang out with 'lairs' this year. Never mind. What I've been working on now is getting back to relating to people, each as individuals.

When I look back now, I don't quite know why I was so ready to give up my own values and observations and take on those of the David DeAngelos and the like. Not that there aren't good lessons to be learnt there and I know I'll be hanging on to a few, just nowhere near the whole thing.

DDD said...

Take what works for you and leave it all behind. Like you said, there are some good ideas and techniques in the community, but not all of them are useful and applicable.

What I left behind is the people, because something about community guys that is just a little bit off and socially well-adjusted people just avoid them like the plaque.

Anonymous said...

I absolutely agree with you. The first step to development is self-acceptance.

I've come to realize that all you need is already inside of you. You just have to discover it and learn to use. So the two basic tools are: self-awareness and action.

About the community: you are the product of billions of years of evolution, and you descend from countless generations of men that successfully mated. So, why the hell I need a 21 CDs + 4 DVDs course on "game"???

There are "gurus" out there that are putting on the market products like no tomorrow... yet some are useful if you put them into practice and don't take them like a drug.

But I feel I have a "problem". I don't feel like learning by trial&error. And I can't decide which guru to "follow" so I continously juggle from one to another without doing anything. One has the big picture and a ring of truth, but the other has motivation and ultimately a good sense for marketing.

I'm too inflexible. Can't just take the best from everyone. What a mess, I'm too stuck in my head.

Any suggestion?

DDD said...

Take my "in-her game" bootcamp and be sure to enroll in my monthly refresher course, and don't forget to signup for my annual superconference!

If you think you have a problem and are stuck in your head, then focus what's around you, talk to people without any agenda, learn to socialize with people without wanting anything from them. That's the first step of being "cool" because you don't need anything from anyone. You are fine the way you are and you are out being friendly with people.

Anonymous said...

uh, a bootcamp?? be1man, are you a "guru"? ;)

Jokes apart, maybe I just have to stop searching a substitute or a quick fix and simply goes in "social mode". It's not so easy for me, being the introverted guy that I am, but I feel this is definitely the only practical way to go.

Thank you!

DDD said...

I think "being social" is a start. I can go into more details depending on interest. Thanks for keeping up with this blog!

Anonymous said...

Being social is thought for someone like me. I'm pretty introverted, often stuck in my head and this is bad for socializing. However I'm practicing to getting out of my head when interacting with my friends.

I think that there is no quick-fix. I have to find within me the energy and motivation to going out alone and approaching strangers.

Maybe a little structure, a plan can help but I don't like canned-routines or monkey-dance type game. I'm a laid back guy that probably need to uncover his spontaneity by focusing outside himself.

PS: Thank you for your blog! Without it I'll probably be completely intoxicated by clever marketing and keyboard jockeys...

DDD said...

Rather than running games on people, try this on yourself. Imagine if you are traveling, you just landed in a new city and you are wandering around discovering what to do where you are.

Smile, be friendly, talk to people as though you are someone from out of town. You'd be surprised how friendly everyone is!