Wednesday, July 9, 2008

26

The guy mentioned in my previous entry turns out to be 26 from that infamous book. After nearly 5 years, he has changed or those stories about him aren't entirely true. I have been wondering how Style distort events and characters in order to write a better story.

This is a mistake I've made many times and I've seen others getting caught up in the hype. That infamous book was my first foray into the self-hype movement, then thanks for David D's monthly gurus, there are new techniques, methods, and books every month to satiate people's appetite for more "stuff." Instead of passing judgment of what they are doing is right or wrong, I should have done my own research and discover more on my own.

A friend (and fellow blogger) and I were discussing how people are "manipulating" each other. There are so many negative connotations associated with that word. The reality is that we all are trying to convince each other. The job of marketeers and hustlers is to present a favorable case of what they are selling; they use what is necessary to convince us, that can range from simple distortions, to hiding some unfavorable facts, to outright lies. Rather than being judgmental and indignant as I have been in the past, I should do my own research in order to decide for myself.

As my friend said it best, my philosophical approach has been more experiential. Shit happens, and we do our best to deal with them. My main gripe about these self-hype gurus is that they led me (and allowed myself to be led) to believe that their way is the only way, the best solution, and in many ways, this is similar to many monotheistic religions. I have to repeat to myself that it's okay to make mistakes, there's no one true path, no best answer, but there is a relatively better solution. My job is to find that. So there may never be the whole truth, but whatever I can find at that time.

No comments: