Monday, September 1, 2008

Yet another publicity stunt

I'm no industry expert, so I call it as I see it without any behind-the-scene knowledge. Remember after The Game, Style pulled that stunt of training only 4 chosen guys, then he came out with the Annihilation Method (I prefer to call it for what it is, the Anal Method, because he reamed so many guys, including some college students, that I know, who took out student loans to buy it). With that chump change of a few millions, Style started stylelife which has grown for the past 2 years and no one seems to remember to ask him why he has started making money off the game, which he claimed that he has quit!

For nearly a whole year, I thought I was the lone voice in calling out that the seduction / dating community is a rip-off. Many readers have contacted me privately and publicly on my blog to tell me many more stories that these so-called "PUAs" are just scammers, as I have suggested before, that they are better at seducing boys and men, than girls, which is why I called them gay in that sense.

Some of these "self-hype gurus" have came back with more bullshit reasons, like "I want to help men" or "I like to teach." My suggestion is simple, there are plenty of under-served inner-city schools that they can teach and make a real difference in the future generation instead of hustling these over-paid, never-got-laid IT / programmers; of all the many types of skills to teach others, they choose to teach men how to hustle women?! Really, that's what we want more in this society, more hustlers?

The other route that some of these losers have taken is to go a more commercial route. David Deangelo, and no, that's not his real name, has gone back to being Eben Pagan in order to sell to his former "classmates" in marketing schools on how to build a business, which is what DYD is all about, preying on the hopes and dreams of chumps by selling them empty promises, because I guarantee you that few if any of his marks / victims have gotten girls by being "cocky and funny."

Then there are guys like Sean Messenger, and more recently, Tyler Durden (real name: Owen Cook) are going into the self-improvement market; because they too have quit the game (remember Style) and they are ready to help men (don't you get tired of the same old refrain?!). No, as long as they are alive, like Ross Jeffries, they will continue to market to people, all I can do is to encourage that those who know about the history of these scammers to speak up and educate others so that they can avoid this community of victims / marks.

That's the beauty of America. The country that re-invented modern psychology and pioneered its usage in advertising. Everyone wants to and thinks that s/he can achieve that American Dream, if you have any doubt that it doesn't exist, go watch the recent Democratic National Convention speeches. So no, TD is not quitting, neither has Style, and for the past 30 some odd years, Anthony Robbins is still around talking about self-help, NLP, and whatever latest bullshit that they have conjured up. Sure, we can learn a few things and with how the world has changed since, information is so readily available for free, why be the chump to buy their product? Check out the blogs and podcasts of former insiders of this whole scam!

Have a happy Labor Day and if you are in the path of Gustav, stay safe!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not a defender of all things PUA, but I def think that your analysis is short-sighted and based on massive generalizations.

Though there are a lot of community resources that are shite, there is a place for the genuine materials and the genuine guys. For example, the dudes at PickupPodcast are great; some of the guys who have appeared w/David D. had real insight; and David D.'s "attraction is not a choice" schpiel can be enlightening to guys.

I see the pick-up movement as something that will probably evolve into another men's movement. There's nothing wrong with that -- so many men who grew up when feminism was well-established have a hard time laying a finger on a woman without feeling guilt.

B-man, as much as you like to give Dr. Phil-style advice ("It's time to get real, get some friends, and just be a man..."), it's not that easy for guys with deep-set issues around this stuff. They could use the insight and a push that this community offers.

To tell all instructors who "love to teach" to go to the inner city is a bogus proposal. I realize you're being fececious, but your point is that they are not contributing anything to people's lives, adn I think you can see evidence to the contrary (despite the fact that your friends get ripped-off now and again).

Would you suggest that psychologists who help rich white people should also abandon their pursuits, because many of those rich people are just wasting time? No. There are guys out there that, once they encounter some seducatin resources, are going to be MUCH more happy individuals. Through incorporating select ideas gained from the community, I personally am much better socially and am really happy with my romantic relationships. I can't be sure I'd be the same without that exposure.

It's great that you call out overt marketing schemes that has little substance behind it. However, your blanket statements about the community in general are way off. They seem to come from a place of anger and resentment, and I'll bet you'll come to a better perspective once that anger (from wasting time and money?) wears out.

If you're going to poo-poo the whole self-help industry, I guess that's cause you've never gained anything from it. For me, certain books (mostly those that weave spirituality and a bit of self-help, like A New Earth) have had a profound impact.

It'd be much better if you singled out certain scams or ideas rather than throwing the baby out w/the bathwater. But of course, instead of trying to help guys here, you should be teaching in the inner city, right? =)

Anonymous said...

I'm out of the community now, but this post did remind me of one lesson I _did_ learn from the community and in all honesty I think it was the main one.

The single most important lesson I could take from the community was that being good with women wasn't something that you're just born with, that it was possible for any person to find someone who's attracted to them. Before the community, I didn't believe that. Because of my experiences in school and the like, I just believed deep down that I was somehow defective, undesirable to women on some core level because of some personality trait or looks trait that I couldn't change.

It's funny when I think about it, because all the advice floating round about being cocky/funny, push/pull, whatever it is, was stuff my dad was telling me when I was young, just worded differently. "Don't call her all the time", "Don't be too available", etc.

What interests me is why I didn't listen to my dad, it was because I'd think "Yeah, but it's different for YOU, you were actually born attractive to women, whereas I wasn't, so that advice doesn't apply to me".

I've come to realise the community over-complicates a lot of things. I think sometimes it's because marketers are trying to sell something and need to do that for their 'product', but sometimes I think it's just because it was founded by guys who just over-thought stuff that way, so they're not doing it on purpose but they really believe it. It depersonalises women in a lot of ways (not all of the community, but a lot of it). I think that's just grown out of the attitudes and bitterness of the guys that founded it.