Saturday, March 24, 2007

The in-her game(tm): Tall tales

I can still remember the first time I made my very first approach. Okay, I got the opener from the self-proclaimed “top 10 PUA of Seattle”, as I did my best to sneak up on a 2-set, my body shivering, legs feeling a bit weak, and I could barely blurt out my opener, they downed their drinks and left the venue. So, thank you guru-wannabe, for teaching me how to creep out girls. Sadly, I’m a rebellious student and much has changed since then.

I didn’t do another approach for nearly one month. Yes, it was that traumatizing to me, probably not so much to those girls, as they were probably used to getting hit on by many inept “top 10 PUA of Seattle.” Back to the drawing board, I read up on PU101 materials and watching many videos of Sensei. After a much needed upgrade of my party wardrobe, I was able to open 70% of sets. Now that I have been doing the Mystery newbie mission for several months (due to lack of sets here), and I’ve learned to let go of the outcome, almost 100% sets open for me.

Soon after, I was introduced to many PUAs and almost everyone universally told me to approach and open sets. I went out many nights and I saw no improvement in my interaction with others. If only someone would tell me how to be social, talk to everyone, making small talks about absolutely nothing of consequence, and not worrying bout the outcome of my interaction. I would slowly but surely see how I can push myself further and make incremental improvement.

My advice to those who are starting and you are not a spontaneously social guy: write down a few interesting stories about your life & recent experience, exaggerate them, include hook questions, intervening questions to get your audience to pay attention, and a funny/insightful punchline. Then rehearse those stories, and be ready to tell them next time you doing small talks. The charismatic guy is someone who can tell compelling stories that capture the attention of the group.

The opener, as I realize now, is a simple way of interrupting someone or a group without creating a socially awkward silence. Draw them into your world with your stories, get them to invest into the interaction by asking your audience questions at critical junctures, and finally, learn to release their attention with something humorous or thought provoking.

A few final tidbits on stories:
  1. Short and succinct
  2. Start with a hook question
  3. An emotional journey with embedded attraction spikes (DHV)
  4. Intervening questions at turning points to maintain audience participation and to build up anticipation
  5. Release with a funny/insightful punchline

Story telling is the bread and butter of plowing, unless you are very socially savy, creative, and have experience telling stories, you are better off writing out your stories first, practice delivering them, before trying it out on live audience. For beginners, you have to learn to be good performers. There are other ways of plowing:

  1. Cold reads
  2. Role playing
  3. Banter/teasing
  4. Physical play (as someone calls it, kino plowing)

No comments: