Sunday, December 2, 2007

Letting go...

Approval seeking behavior can permeate from the initial approach all the way throughout the relationship. Success in opening all the way to !closing, in part, depends on not trying to get approval, IOI, validation,... from anyone, and especially girls. Being needy is usually unattractive to girls, especially if they are not attracted to the guy, and if he persists, he will be creepy. But if she's attracted, and the guy is needy, he might come across as endearing... at least in the beginning.

When I hang out with friends, I am open and honest with them, I say what's on my mind, usually without much filter between what goes on in my brain and what I verbalize. In fact, this blog is pretty much the same way. There's no need to create an avatar, a persona, something "attractive" to girls (or guys). I just be who I am. I live my life and whatever comes up, I'm sure I can deal with it. I find having the attitude of living in the moment very freeing; i.e., I don't get encumbered by the past or fixated about what to come.

This spontaneity is very important when I first meet someone. We have no history together and chances are, we probably won't have a future together. Our paths are crossing at this point and that's it. As nihilistic as this may sound, I find having this mindset very helpful in interacting with people; I don't want to take anything from them, I'm just there.

Another is once that I am in a relationship, I don't make myself too available and I also don't expect the same from girls. We limit how much time we spend together and we touch base once in awhile, mostly to set up a time to "meet." It's funny how when I let them go, they will eventually come back. This, of course, is dependent on having a strong identity.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the content, keep it up. I would like to ask if you have any practical mental routines/exercises to develop a frame of mind such as yours. Something that can help a guy on similar journey. I am having great success with presence and awareness of the internal dialog but I'm always looking to learn something new to learn and grow. Thanks

DDD said...

Thanks. I actually don't have any internal dialog. You remember or notice that children wandering into a candy store and their amazement? They certainly don't have any exercise or routine to psych themselves up... That's my approach with people at any gathering. Everyone has a story and can be interesting.

NOTE: this will get you to be social. There are additional steps to build up that tension... make them jump through hoops/compliance tests... kino... to !close.