Monday, August 13, 2007

A lifestyle choice


For those who are devoted readers of this blog, I'm sorry I haven't updated in awhile. Life has been busy; there seems to be a synergy between the three pillars of life: health, wealth, and relationships.

Learning "pickup techniques" has made me more friendly, I can relate with people, and consequently, being social animals that we are, I have met some wonderful people, made new friends, and in the process, gained so much more joy being human again. Although I have very little hesitation in expressing my opinions in the past, I feel so much more liberated now that I can quickly connect with people and be part of the group.

Even a simple task of getting a rental car, the guy gave me free upgrade because I was friendly with him. Another incidence was that we were stranded up on a mountain at night, because I befriended a few other tourists from Europe, who barely spoke any English, we were able to make our way back down together, 1.5 hours later. Had I been timid and shy, like I was before, and with just my girl, I don't think I would be typing up this blog in the comfort of my home, nearly 48 hours later.

Then a few weeks ago, another headhunter contacted me regarding some possible employment opportunities, with a few phone calls, and being able to be the likable person, I think I have a new job lined up. I will decide whether I will jump ship once I get to know the people there.

As trite as this might sound, be yourself is a great advice. I was not myself until recently; deep down, there was a fun, friendly, social guy, because of fears and other insecurities, my true self was locked up. Let go of expectations, let go of fears, find out what make yourself tick, be the person you want, lead and others will follow.

2 comments:

Ian Paredes said...

EXACTLY.

i've realized how great the advice "be yourself" really was (at least, now that i'm a lot more confident in myself and am a lot more secure than before.) i strike up conversations with a lot of random people and generally get good responses, since my vibe is typically always positive.

but yeah, definitely there's something a lot more disarming about being friendly than trying to fit into various pigeon holes of behavioral traits, like "trying" to be alpha male or PUA or whatever. unfortunately, i find a lot of people in the community trying to be alpha more than anything else, which typically ends in disaster since it is little more than a front (and if they don't go down in a blazing glory, their interactions at least suffer to the point of them not being genuine.)

Possibility said...

Your absence was missed!Good post by the way " I was not myself until recently; deep down, there was a fun, friendly, social guy, because of fears and other insecurities, my true self was locked up. Let go of expectations, let go of fears, find out what make yourself tick, be the person you want, lead and others will follow. " That should be a truism for everyone. Interestingly, the concept of positive psychology is becoming popular worldwide. Is this the start of a new trend in thinking?