Saturday, April 14, 2007

Self-discovery

For those who work at Google, I would like to learn about their algorithm, of deciding what ads to serve. To amuse myself, I have deliberately blogged about different subjects that interest me and in some ways, give people of a glimpse into how my mind works and what goes on in it. Due to the obvious abundance of posts here about pickup/seduction/dating, Google adsense suggested many ads related to that topic; however, it has shown an interesting twist.

The advertisers for one particular niche market must be using similar adwords and are willing to bid more money for them. I don't know whether those who are drawn to it have more disposable income to spend on this or they are more prevalent than what Kinsey reported. There seems to be an over-representation of ads for "Do you know if you are gay?", "How to seduce straight men (for gays)",... I was starting to question my sexuality, yes, I have a very weak frame! Gay jokes aside, I wouldn't be able to swallow this bite of food in my mouth had I not seen these ads right after I refreshed my page, "Secrets about men, for women", "How to catch him and keep him",... Damn, I'm not that gay after all!

I wonder how much more Google and other cookie monsters know about us than ourselves. I'm quite sure our beloved government is tracking us, but corporations, they are a much bigger evil that I worry about. The constitution was drafted in an era when the biggest fear was King and his henchmen; today, who we are as individuals and what can be profited from us are all determined by corporations. So join up blogger, let this wonderful company get to know you, make a few easy bucks, and show me your secrets!

No comments: