Monday, October 1, 2007

My style of being a lazy, boring guy

I hate walking up to some girls to open them. Being the lazy guy that I am, I usually just sit down at a table. The last one I remember, I started having small talk a guy sitting next to me. Our conversation was boring and learning from Juggler (his materials, not directly from him), i.e. be a nosy guy, he introduced me to his party of people, who were there for his gf's 22nd birthday. I don't peacock normally so he was giving me some advice on dating and how I should lock up a girl while I'm still in college, which was what he did. His girl was fun and so were all her friends.

They all turned out to be coworkers at a fancy restaurant with all those hot waitresses. Perhaps I was being a boring beta male, AFC, he invited me to go visit him at his restaurant, left me his card and wrote down that he will hook me up if I go there next time with friends.

Then I made some comments to a couple sitting a few seats away from me, we started talking. I don't remember what I said, but it was pretty clear to the guy sitting next to her knew that I was hitting on her. Again, using complete Juggler style, I started talking about the difficulty of maintaining a committed relationship. While her guy sitting to her left, she confided to me (sitting on her right) that she was still talking with some guy back home. We vibed for a bit longer. There might have been attraction, IOIs, or whatever else, I didn't look for them. Funny how her guy placed his hand on her left knee while I was teasing her on her right.

My friends came back from their approaches. As I got up to leave with my buddies, I just handed her my phone to enter her contact info, which she did, while the guy was sitting right next to her.

The "sarge" was very low-key, from afar people saw that I was just hanging out with my friends, nothing special. I was not the dancing monkey, I was not the entertainer, and yet, we connected even with her boy next to her. This was something I hope to continue: Being normal, social, low-key, just another guy who can connect with people. Sure, I used some community routines, I told some canned stories, I teased her a bit, but more than 90% of our conversation was either fluff or emotional rapport, very spontaneous conversation threads of being in the moment.

Why do I bring this up? I want to highlight that depending on the vibe of the environment, types of people, I have been working at this for a long time to develop the right calibration; the important thing is that I am surrounded by positive people who are fun. There's no one size fits all method, it's about incorporating what works and be calm, be chill, have fun, be social, deliberate and lead. I'll post my story of how I literally dragged a girl out of the bar to go back to her place in 20 minutes.

No comments: