Monday, June 4, 2007

Nonjudgemental interest

After talking about being indifferent to the outcome and just have don't give a shit attitude, I think I went a bit too far. How do I express genuine interest and also indifferent to their reaction? I haven't found a good balance yet.

Some people I've met are quite good at that. They come across as very genuine people, they seem to care about who I am as a person, but somehow, I don't think it matters to them what kind of person I am; i.e., they care but not judgmental. Regardless of who, what, and how I am, they were still accepting. That overall attitude is very critical to be a people person.

Almost everyone wants to be appreciated just the way s/he is. Now, in an environment where there are so many "players," there has to be a certain amount of playful teasing that happens prior to that. One thing I used to do, but for some reasons, I haven't been doing lately is to exert sexual dominance, through a certain activity. I came across like the drunken playful guy, but there wasn't depth. Eventually, I figured out a way to balance playfulness with genuine interest. Girls want to have fun, sure. They also want someone who is distinguishable from all the fun guys out there.

Granted, there are some guys who just don't want or know how to have fun. I recently had a long chat with one girl, just for kicks and giggles, I asked her what she thought of my first impression. Yes, I am an attention whore, I want my ego and a few other things stroked by girls. And of course, I will develop a stronger presence, as suggested by a friend. What she said following was quite interesting about one particularly quiet "friend" who was with me at that time, which I might blog about in the future, if I do give a shit in helping him improve! He reminded her of that Ralph Fiennes character, Francis Dolarhyde, in Red Dragon. That is one creepy psychopath. She's not very far off, though. So why the long diversion?

The reason is that I butted head recently in field with some strangers. Being more of a reactionary hothead instead of a more controlled, caring, genuinely authentic man (yeah, I know), I could have turned what was a bait into a better outcome. From some suggestions with people, I think I know how to respond in general. Be interesting, be interested, but detached from outcome, and more importantly, do not be reactive or judgmental in any way.

No comments: