Saturday, January 26, 2008

Being outed

As a gay man. Yeah, you wish! Most people I hang out with know about my blog but they know me enough, or get enough of this real (gay!) man, that they don't bother to read this. In fact, this blog is my outlet, usually as a way for me to dump the garbage that is clogging up my brain so that I can function more efficiently, which I might write about in the future. Back to being discovered.

A friend of mine texted me this urgent message recently that the woman he has been seeing was reading his blog! I told him to calm down and it's no big deal. Then I just had the humorous incidence of having the girl that I've been seeing searched and found my blog, it's really me who got her interested in finding it. She knew that I've been maintaining a blog and apparently, many people have their own internet persona where they blog and write about anonymously. Funny thing is that she has a busy life and there's more for her to do than to read this to get some insights into my psyche.

This brings me to a very well-known dating coach/instructor who shut down his blog and went all the way to retiring, all because a girl he has been with found his blog. For goodness' sake, what is the big deal?! The sad thing is that I kind of miss reading his writing, the way he tried so hard to write like those NYTimes columnists, using "big words" in the wrong context.

My only advice has always been, "Be a man!" and take responsibility for one's actions. There's no reason to shrink and shy away from one's creations. Am I proud of this blog? Yes, but I also have some entries that I could have toned down my, ummm, rhetoric. Feel free to share your life, your passions, your dreams, your disappointments, with people you care about.

No comments: